Followers

Friday 7 February 2014

Creating the Bus Design - #5

Creating the Bus Design - #5

With all my ideas and designs done, I was ready to open Photoshop and start creating the Bus poster using a bus template, I have found using Google Images. 

I made this template the background layer and then duplicated the layer, leaving two identical layers. By duplicating the layer, I now have a template that I can start editing whilst leaving the background layer the same in case I need the original blue print. 

Because I'm going for a dark, zombie approach to the design imitating the TV series, The Walking Dead, I wanted the bus to look dirty and old as if it was a bus straight from a zombie apocalypse. This creates realism and helps create the apocalyptic effect. 














Above is the finished product after this first stage. I created the dirt and rust by using the Paint Brush tool. Once I had selected this tool, I chose the colours I wanted to use, which in this case were grey's and dark oranges. The next step was to bring the hardness down of the bush, this made the colours softer and less obvious. You can do this by using the tool bar at the top of photoshop when you have the Paint Brush selected.  

The next step was too create a Guard tower. This was to add to the prison setting I was creating. Again, this is similar to the setting in The Walking Dead.

As i'm unable to take a photo of a prison guard tower, I've had to find a different way of creating the graphic myself. I decided to draw the tower myself. This solution meant that I didn't have to travel anywhere and its a fairly quick and easy way of doing it.

The problem I had with this idea is that I'm a rubbish drawer. This meant that my guard tower didn't look professional or realistic. Its important that it looks both of these things.

To get around this problem, I used Illustrator. By scanning my drawing in and using the Image tracing tool. This tool recognises the lines I have drawn and traces over it with a computer generated black line.

I was then able to bring it into Photoshop, creating a new layer as I did and placed the layer above the template layer.

By using the Paint Brush and Paint Bucket tool, I was able to add colour to the graphic.

The problem I now had was that the Prison Tower was just made of blocks of colour and didn't look realistic. I needed to add texture, so thats what I did.

By double clicking on the layer I wanted, it brought up a list of effects I could add. I used the Bevel and Emboss and the Texture effect to add a stone effect to the Prison Tower, making it look more realistic. i could then choose how large and noticeable the effect was.


No comments:

Post a Comment